Finding squirrels in your home in Bedford can be worrying. These cute woodland creatures can cause serious damage to property and need to be handled quickly and professionally. If left to their own devices, squirrels will gnaw through wood and cabling, and have even been known to cause house fires in Bedford and beyond. Many homeowners are not aware that squirrels are considered pests or the amount of damage they can cause, and many assume other rodents such as mice or rats are responsible for pest issues. In this article, we are sharing our squirrel removal advice for Bedford residents.
How To Tell If You Have Squirrels In Your Home
Before you can set about getting rid of squirrels from your Bedfordshire home, you need to be sure that this is the pest you are dealing with. It is common to confuse rats or mice with squirrels as some of the signs are the same. When you have squirrels in your home, you might experience:
- Rustling And Scratching: Squirrels will try to build a nest in their new home, and they often make rustling and scratching noises in the process. The most common time to hear squirrels is in the mornings or evenings, as opposed to rats who tend to make most of their movements during the night.
- Chew Marks: These rodents are known to chew on cables, wood, and many other parts of your home. In fact, squirrels chew through just about anything as a way of keeping their teeth down. Keep an eye out for chew marks and damage both inside and outside your property in Bedford.
- Droppings: If squirrels are living in your home, then they will be leaving droppings. It is not easy to tell the difference between squirrel droppings and other rodents, as they can look very similar.
How To Get Rid Of Squirrels?
Once you have identified that the pest in your Bedford home is squirrels, you need to set about removing them as quickly as possible. Here are a few steps to take to remove squirrels from your property:
- Cut Off Food Sources: Squirrels eat vegetables, fruits, and nuts, and removing all potential food sources should be your first step. Check around your garden and remove anything that squirrels could be eating. It is also critical that you keep all bins securely covered.
- Install Squirrel Mesh: Block off any access points that squirrels could be using to your home with a squirrel proof mesh. Common areas include in the loft and in the basement, so carefully check these areas and cover any gaps or vents.
- Use Squirrel Traps: Squirrel traps are one of the most effective ways of getting rid of squirrels in Bedford, but there are some laws you need to be aware of. Traps can only be used by professionals who are BPCA trained, and it is a legal requirement that all live squirrels which are caught are disposed of.
Hire A Pest Controller In Bedford: The best option for humane squirrel removal in your home is to enlist the help of professionals. At Area Pest Control, we have the training, experience, and tools to handle any pest problems quickly and efficiently. Our team covers the Bedford area so contact us today to arrange a callout.