Discovering rats in your property can be a scary experience, and will quickly find you wondering how to get rid of rats in the home. These rodents are not only unsightly, but they can be a health hazard for yourself and your family. Rats can carry diseases and wreak havoc in a property by chewing through wiring, insulation, and walls. The only way to reclaim your property is to figure out how to get rid of rats in the home. Luckily, there are some tried and tested methods to remove these rodents once and for all.
How To Identify A Rat Infestation
Before you can start working on removing these pests from your property, you need to be confident that rats are the culprits in your home. There are a few ways to identify a rat infestation, and it is important to remember that these creatures will flock to warm, dry areas with plentiful food sources. Look out for:
- Droppings: Rats leave a lot of droppings around their habitat every day, so look out for rat droppings in entrances and small, dark areas of your home which could be a good spot for rodents to set up camp.
- Sounds And Smells: The most common sign of an infestation is sounds and smells. Rats smell strongly of ammonia and can be extremely loud, if you hear scratching noises around your home, it could be rats.
- Wall Marks: Rodents such as rats have very poor eyesight and establish their key routes along walls, so they know where they are going. This can leave greasy wall marks and smears along the bottom of your walls and surfaces.
- Footprints: Rats will leave feet and tail marks in dusty areas of the home. One method for checking for rats is to sprinkle flour along the floor and look for footprints the next day.
- Damage: If you find unexplained damage to wiring, walls, or other fixtures, it could be a sign of rats.
How To Get Rid Of Rats In The Home
If you have noticed a few of these signs and have identified that you have a rat problem in your home, then there are a few steps you can take to get rid of these pests:
- Seal Any Gaps: Rats will be getting in and out of the property through small gaps, usually in drains or loft spaces. Block these with caulk, wire wool, cement, or metal kick plates to stop them from coming in. Read our top tips on rat proofing a loft.
- Keep It Clean: Try to clear your home of any clutter and move objects away from the walls, this will make it more difficult for rats to hide. Never leave food out unattended and keep waste in closed bins that rats can’t get into.
- Remove Food Sources: Rats will keep coming back for as long as they can keep finding food. Store all dry foods in tightly sealed boxes or containers, and always clean up any spills right away.
- Seek Professional Help: Once a rat infestation is already in your home, it is best to seek professional help from a pest control company. They will have the experience and tools required to remove the pests and prevent them from returning. Find yourself a reliable rat pest control company and keep their details handy in case of emergency.
At Area Pest Control, we are experts in handling all kinds of pests, including rats. Our team can help remove rats from your home and proof your property to avoid future infestations. Contact us today.